The Geomancer

10/27/09

The Quiet Postwar

To those of you enjoying the Pyr edition of Paul McAuley's incomparable The Quiet War, I say this: "ner ner n'ner ner, I've read the sequel". It's called Gardens of the Sun, and I've blogged an instant review too. If The Quiet War deserves to sweep all before it in America (and it does) then Gardens of the Sun deserves to do just as well: it makes a coherent whole with the first book, and together they constitute "a very major work of contemporary science fiction, amongst the great genre achievements of the noughties, a long novel that will still be being read and remembered fifty years from now ... If you have any interest in SF today you’ll need to read both books." Or that, at least, is what I think. [AR]

6 comments:

  1. When will it be released?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's available in the UK now, though I don't know about the US.

    I should add, by way of full disclosure, that whilst I know McAuley a little (we're not bosom buddies, but the world of London SF is a small one) I have no personal investment in his books' success. I just really rate these two novels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Pyr US edition is coming out in March. I too loved The Quiet War so much so that I did a short interview with Paul. I'm tempted to get the UK edition of Gardens, but I'll wait to support Pyr and also because I like to have matching editions. Hopefully the cover for Gardens will be just as good as The Quiet War.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be able to debut that cover in just a few weeks (if not sooner). The artwork is in, but still being tweaked, and we're working on the design. And thank you - waiting to support Paul in the US is much appreciated, and also absolutely vital if we are to do books beyond Gardens of the Sun. When too many people import the UK edition, it prevents me from doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOh, Lou, that;s good to know! I was just getting ready to order the UK edition, and was planning to order the Pyr edition when it came out, because I'm anxious to continue reading the story, but now I'll wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deeply deeply appreciated.

    ReplyDelete